February 20, 2016 was the most recent quarterly meeting in Kansas City. Here's a short review of what the group covered.
· Nine members attended the meeting at the newly-remodeled Johnson County Central Library.
· Carmen Rinehart presented a program on “Color.”
Carmen suggested we tend to use the same colors repeatedly because they have been successful for us in the past. She recommended the book, Color Play by Joen Wolfram. She also talked about research that has been done that analyzes how our brains react to color – tension, calming, stimulating, etc. If we create art for a specific venue it could influence our color choices.
During part of the presentation we played a “card game” using paint and fabric swatches. It was a lot of fun and very informative. Everyone enjoyed it. Thank you, Carmen!
· There has been some confusion regarding the term “face-time” meetings. Apparently there is an internet program similar to Skype that is named Facetime. In the future, we will refer to our meetings as quarterly (Kansas City area) get-togethers.
· Mary Kay reported that SAQA was willing to pay for us to have a SAQA booth at the 2017 Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival. Linda Frost offered to help coordinate staffing for it. Registration for KCRQF booth space has not yet begun, so this is not a sure thing yet.
· We discussed the 2017 Regional Exhibit at the Leedy-Voulkos Art Center. The following items were decided at the quarterly meeting:
o Exhibit dates are June 2, 2017 through July 29, 2917.
o It will be a juried exhibit titled, “Our Changing Landscape” which will encompass rather broad interpretations.
o Artwork dimensions will be a minimum of 24” and a maximum of 48” for both height and width.
o We will hold an opening reception on June 2, 2017.
o The committee so far consists of Karen Hansen, Mary Kay Fosnacht, Cindy Parry, Cindy Brendzel, Carol Jones, Carmen Rinehart, Jackie Stoaks, Marney Clausen, and Ada Niedenthal. If you are interested in helping with this exhibition, please email Karen or Mary Kay.
· The next quarterly get-together will be May 21 at the Johnson County Central Library. Andrea Luliak, one of our members from Wyandotte, OK will present a program and demonstration using tissue paper on top of fabric. We hope you will attend!
|Quilt by Karen Hansen|