Monday, June 10, 2013

Featured Artist Debbie Ross

Happy Monday everyone.  Today I'm pleased to feature the lovely work of Debbie Ross.  She blogs at http://debsbitspieces.blogspot.com/ and can also be found on flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/debr33/.  I was initially drawn to her use of color and line in pieces such as "Brush Strokes", and am thrilled to share more of her work with you guys.  As always, e-mail me if you're interested in being featured here.  We're excited to share work by both established and emerging artists!


1. Who are you and where do you live?
My name is Debbie Ross.  I was born in Tulsa, lived in St. Louis for 30 years and moved back to Tulsa in 2005.

2. Tell us a little bit about your artistic journey and how you got started?
 I started sewing as a small child.  I am self taught in sewing, quilting, crocheting and knitting.  I love all forms of Fiber Art.  I don’t remember a time that I wasn’t working on a project.  I started seriously quilting in 1999.

Debbie Ross, Sedona Red Rocks

Debbie Ross, Sedona Red Rocks, Detail

3. How do you describe your work?
My work for the most part is colorful and a lot of geometric shapes, I am starting to embrace more abstract art and this is starting to influence my work more and more.

Debbie Ross, Reflections

4. Do you have any favorite techniques or approaches?
My favorite techniques right now are fusing, foundation type flip and sew techniques, and a lot of hand embellishments.  I am using a lot of decorative stitching and I have taught classes using this creative stitching and embellishing with hand stitching and beading. I am starting to use my own hand dyed fabrics and solid fabrics in my work.

5. What do you want to communicate with your work?
I see my work as pulling the viewer in because of the use of color.  I also think once the viewer is close they see so much more with stitching and subtle design elements. 
Debbie Ross, Brushstrokes

6. What methods, or lifestyle tips, or time management tips do you find helpful to producing work?

 I was once told by a quilt artist to treat my art as a job.  What she meant is set a time that is yours to create uninterrupted.  I let friends and family know that I check for messages at lunch and after 4:00 on most days.  This lets me get into a creative mode and work on my art. I also carry a sketchbook everywhere I go.
Debbie Ross, Composition

7. Which artists, other individuals or subjects currently inspire you?

The artists that currently inspire me are Sue Benner, Katie Pasquini Masopust, Jean Wells Keenan, and Lisa Call.  I am inspired by the colors of nature. 


Thanks so much Debbie for sharing with us!




2 comments:

  1. So happy to see your work as I always am --thanks to you and Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Charlotte, it was fun to see your work last week.

    ReplyDelete